ICC Topographic Map of Catalonia / Catalunya, Spain
Below is an ICGC (the equivalent of the OS) topographic map of Catalonia / Catalunya.
GR (long distance paths) and a few local paths are shown at some zoom levels (but, strangely, not the highest zoom level?). However, many local footpaths are not shown at all, especially in National/Local parks. Neither is there any indication of which paths/roads are public or private.
However, this is by far the best online mapping available for Catalonia.
Guidebooks: It's very important to get the latest edition, as there are lots of new developments on this section of coast, as well as right-of-way issues, but also newly opened paths. For example, the Cami de Ronda (coastal GR route) is a fair way from the coast in many places due to access issues - hopefully it will be improved over time.
- There is a scattering of National Parks and walking areas in the region, but they are often a good drive apart. The coast is the highlight.
- The Sunflower Walking Guide is OK, but has few coastal walks, which is a real shame as they are a highlight of the area.
- There is also a Rother Guide which has twice the number of walks, but the "latest" (4 years old) edition hasn't been translated into English. You might get a second hand version of the previous edition on Amazon.
- There are some Catalan language websites about the GR-82 coast walk, and the Cami de Ronda paths, which the Chrome browser can auto-translate, e.g.Camins de Ronda - Blog of a coastal walk along the entire Costa Brava. In Catalan, use chrome's auto-translate
For general travel
- Download the Catalunya Offline app (free!), which has topographic mapping for you phone
- Download the map.me app and then the Spain map (free!) which gives free OpenStreetMap topographic mapping.
- The Kindle only Rough Guide to the Catalonia and the Costa Brava is quite good [may no longer be available], but for guide books, paper is much more convenient to use.
- There are also 15 - 20 years (!) out-of-date paper versions of Lonely Planet and Rough Guides to Catalonia (expanded versions of the Catalonia chapter from the Spain Guide).
- I would very strongly recommend a touring map for drivers.
- Note that many Costa Brava hotels charge exorbitant rates for WiFi, but its free in many cafes
The ICGC (Catalonian 'OS') have updated their tile servers, yet again, and online maps are working, yet again.